Monday, August 27, 2007

Rainy Days and Mondays

They don't get me down. In fact, I love rainy days. They are comforting in a way I really can't explain. It's so precious when it happens, so rare. As a person that grew up in the South "bad weather" was something that most people felt they just had to deal with. I was an odd one. I've always had this almost unusual affinity for water in general, rainshowers and thunderstorms in particular.

The rain which quickly turned into a light spectacular started around 1am this morning. I heard the rain and saw the lightning, the thunder was soon to follow. I got out of bed and opened the sliding glass door and just stood there enjoying the smell of rain and watching the fat rain drops plop on the patio. Soon the urge to go outside and "play in the rain" took over. I opened the screen door and went outside and sat on the patio in a chair and let the rain just soak me. I loved it. I found it so relaxing and invigorating.

It's not simply the water, but there is something that feels almost cleansing from a rainstorm. I wish for many more Rainy Day Mondays.