Thursday, July 11, 2013

It's Always Best To Start At The Beginning

I originally started this journey in January 2008.  I made the decision to start researching the lap band, a less risky version of the gastric bypass. There is no actual cutting of the stomach, just a band that is placed around the top of your stomach to limit the amount of food that is digested at a time.  After about a year I felt comfortable enough with my research and decision to proceed.

In January 2009 my first step was to attend a seminar at Surgical Weight Control Center, they get your information and a copy of your insurance card and then you spend a couple of hours listening to one of the doctors who performs the surgery talk you through each one.  Educational and somewhat boring because if you are like me you have already researched this to death and know all you can possibly know.

A few days later I got the phone call that my insurance company approved my surgery I would have to come up with a copay of $500.00 and meet some other requirements. Proof of a six month supervised weight loss diet and medical records for 5 years showing my BMI had been over 40.  I had to have blood work performed, a EKG and chest x-ray.  I had to have a psychological evaluation, see a  nutritionist and attend classes on how to properly eat after the procedure was performed.

I was able to complete all the requirements and attend my office consultation by early March, I was cleared for surgery a week later, and my preoperative appointment was on March 18, 2009 and my surgery date was set for April 9, 2009. Everything was perfect and then at the end of March I found a denial letter in my mailbox from Anthem Blood Cross Blue Shield stating they did not and have never covered this procedure. I appealed they denied a second time,  my doctor wrote letters, The staff at the Surgical Weight Control Center did everything they could without success. The only way I was having this surgery was to pay cash upfront or manage to receive financial assistant, neither I was able to do.

I was yet again a failure something I am very use to being.