Saturday, January 4, 2014

My name is Belinda and I have Meniere's Disease

I have Meniere’s Disease, and although it does not define me, it is my constant companion.

I was diagnosed with this disease in my early twenties after going through a battery of test for dizziness, vertigo, and hearing issues I was having.  I would have an occasional episode every so often, riding in the back seat of a car, reading in a moving vehicle, anything that goes round and round would always cause a episode that last several minutes or sometimes hours. Amusement parks became my mortal enemy, and I hated flying and bus trips.  Then about 8 years ago the disease vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Little did I know it was lying dormant, just waiting.  Meniere’s is a sneaky, cheating, ambushing disease which, after hitting you hard and making life unbearable, goes and hides – only to pounce back when you are least expecting it, and this time it came back with a vengeance.

I have been experience severe meniere's episodes for the past six months with no sign that they are even considering stopping.  I am trapped inside my own body. Like a prisoner, I have no control.  I wake up and upon attempting to sit up the room starts spinning like a tilt a whirl. I need assistance to get from the bed to the bathroom and back to the bed, my body feels as though it is a raving drunk though I am completely sober.  I have severe nausea, vomiting, for which I am eating Meclizine like candy for and it no longer seems to have any affect.  Light hurts my eyes, my head is in a fog, I can't focus or concentrate.  My ear slosh or buzz or hum or a combination of all three at the same time.  I lay in my bed on my right side in the fetal position in the dark with a cold wash cloth on my head and pray for death, death would be quicker and more humane. Once all the symptoms subside your body crashes, you sleep for hours or days and once you awaken you still feel drained.

I am at this posting coming down from a 3 day episode.  I hope and pray when I awake Monday morning I will be able to go to work and be a "normal" person.  It is sad when the biggest event of the last four days of your life was being able to wash your hair without someone standing outside the shower making sure you didn't fall and crack your head on the faucet.  Yep this year has to get better.