Wednesday, August 8, 2012

From Bad to Worse

I woke up about 10 minutes before my 6:30am alarm this morning and actually got out of bed and got into the shower. This for me is a major accomplishment because I have been turning off my alarm, rolling over and going back to sleep, only to awake again at 7:30am which really sucks when you have to be at work at 8:00am. I was showered, dressed and sitting at my desk typing a Facebook entry and my phone rang at 7:05am and it was Steve.  I always love hearing his voice but especially first thing in the morning. It makes me smile and helps get my day off to a wonderful start. He was at his eye doctor appointment and was calling to make sure I was awake (how sweet) and to let me know that he was being sent for blood work to check his blood glucose level because the test they performed in the office was very high in the 400s.

I received a text message at 8:14am “News went from bad to worse. The doctors have decided I need to be admitted for a couple of days, looks like no skype for a few days” I laughed at first because he was worried about not being able to skype, and then I immediately fell apart and started crying, which is not very productive for work. I NEED to and SHOULD be in Florida taking care of him and not 2,250 miles away feeling helpless, scared and alone. Life is really not fair!!

He called me at 8:20am to tell me that the blood work showed his blood glucose level much higher and they are concerned about diabetes and that his eye is not healing properly from surgery. They are hospitalizing him for a few days to put him on some IV antibiotics and medication for his eye and to get his blood sugar level under control. He called it preventive care. He is so brave and strong and still trying to take care of me and my fears and feelings when I should be the one supporting him. Just one more reason I love him so very much. They already have a room for him and he was heading over to the hospital to be admitted. He promised he would call me the moment he was settled into his room.